InputStick is a hardware based solution and because of that:
- It is almost as easy to use as any generic USB HID input device (keyboard, mouse, etc.).
- Plug and Play: ready to go in just a few seconds.
- No server software or drivers are required (works with generic HID drivers).
- Works without WiFi/3G connectivity.
- InputStick is compatible with any USB host (see Compatibility for more details).
In case of software-only based solutions, there are several conditions that have to be met, before you can use your smartphone as a remote input device:
- Connectivity (WiFi/3G).
- Server application must be available for remote device.
- Time to setup and configure server application and network.
- Knowledge and skills to install and configure server application and remote device.
- Some applications require rooting your device.
There are many things that can go wrong:
- No WiFi/you don't know password.
- You are not allowed to install software/configure remote device.
- No administrative rights to install software on remote device.
- No server application compatible with remote device.
- No time to setup server application.
- You simply don't know how to setup remote device.
- You don't want to root your device (loosing warranty or security reasons)
With InputStick, you just plug it into USB port, just like a real device (USB keyboard etc). Most USB enabled operating systems already provide drivers for basic input device, so you don't have to install software or drivers. And it takes just a few seconds, before you are ready to use your application! Also, no root/jailbreak is required, all InputStick apps works on stock Android (2.3 and later) or iOS (iPhone 4S or later).